guix-devel

Re: CLI flag to ignore guix channel

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: CLI flag to ignore guix channel
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 11:40:47 +0100

Hi,

On sam., 28 janv. 2023 at 20:55, Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:

>>> guix import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r --ignore-channel=guixrus

[...]

>>     guix time-machine -C path/to/channels-wo-guixrus.scm \
>>          -- import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r

> How fast is that?  If new commits come in during time-machine
> invocations, won't it keep doing new builds of guix?

It depends what the file ’path/to/channels-wo-guixrus.scm’ would contain. :-)

My point was just to say that this speculative “ignore-channels” could
already be emulated using “guix time-machine”.  From my understanding of
what this speculative “ignore-channels” would do.

BTW, please note that this operation “ignore-channel” would be costly
because at least one “Computing Guix derivation” is required.

Cheers,
simon