guix-devel

Re: Proposition to streamline our NAR collection to just zstd-compressed

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Proposition to streamline our NAR collection to just zstd-compressed ones
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:13:11 +0100

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

> From experience we know that users on foreign distros rarely, if ever,
> upgrade the daemon (on top of that, upgrading the daemon is non-trivial
> to someone who initially installed the Debian package, from what I’ve
> seen, because one needs to fiddle with the .service file to adjust file
> names and the likes),

The upgrade instructions are in (info "(guix) Upgrading Guix").

I run the daemon on Debian but installed it with the install script, not
with the Debian package: I'm going to test the installation on a VM and
I'll see/document what a user should do to upgrade a daemon installed
that way

My /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service is:

# This is a "service unit file" for the systemd init system to launch
# 'guix-daemon'.  Drop it in /etc/systemd/system or similar to have
# 'guix-daemon' automatically started.

[Unit]
Description=Build daemon for GNU Guix

[Service]
ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix-daemon
--build-users-group=guixbuild --substitute-urls='https://ci.guix.gnu.org
https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'
Environment=GUIX_LOCPATH=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/lib/locale
 LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
Environment=TMPDIR=/home/guix-builder
RemainAfterExit=yes
StandardOutput=syslog
StandardError=syslog

# See <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-04/msg00608.html>.
# Some package builds (for example, go@1.8.1) may require even more than
# 1024 tasks.
TasksMax=8192

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I tweaked it a little bit to add "--substitute-urls" to ExecStart and
"LC_ALL" to Environment, but the Guix provided one should work.

AFAIU following the official daemon upgrade instructions should do the
job: right?

If this is not the case with the Debian package IMO it's a Debian
package (.service file) bug: we should add a footnote to (info "(guix)
Upgrading Guix") and file a bug upstream if needed, no?

[...]

> In addition to the warning, we should communicate in advance and make
> sure our instructions on how to upgrade the daemon are accurate and
> clear.

IMO the instructions on (info "(guix) Upgrading Guix") are clear; they
are just for a systemd based distro but should be easily "transposed" to
a different init system by the users... or not?

Thanks! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures