Re: [Savannah-hackers] .symlinks

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] .symlinks
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:07:51 +0100

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 12:41:20PM +0100, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> Can I point across directories with .symlinks?
Yes, in the first argument, but not in the second one

> I've got a .symlinks file in Classpathx that looks like this:
> >>>>
> classpathx.html   index.html
> jaxp.html  jaxp/jaxp.html
> <<<<
> is this acceptable because it doesn't seem to work.

If you try to do "ln -s jaxp.html jaxp/jaxp.html" you will see that it doesn't
work; it will first enter the directory jaxp/ and then make a link to
jaxp.html with the same name jaxp.html

If you want to create a link to ./jaxp.html from the subdirectoy jaxp/, you
should write down another .symlinks file in jaxp/ with the following:
  ../jaxp.html  jaxp.html

But looking at your classpathx repository, It seems to me that you have
switched the order of the arguments; your .symlinks says:

 classpathx.html index.html
 jaxp.html jaxp/index.html

When it should really say:

 classpathx.html index.html
 jaxp/index.html jaxp.html

(jaxp/index.html exists, but jaxp.html doesn't)

Regards,
Jaime