[Savannah-help-public] [sr #105453] I am receiving the same mail about a

From: Joshua Ginsberg
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #105453] I am receiving the same mail about an error 120 times.Misbehaviour?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:08:08 +0000

Howdy folks --

This looks to be an issue specific to spamgourmet.com's MTA not playing
particularly well with Mailman. In order to recognize bounce messages,
Mailman (among other ways) uses the RFC-defined Errors-To mail header
expecting an RFC compliant MTA to send bounce messages to that specially
crafted email address. As a fallback, it also looks at emails with
null-return paths and compares them to known bounce formats.

The bounces coming from spamgourmet.com 1) are coming to
address@hidden instead of the mldonkey-commits-bounces email
address specified in the Errors-To; and 2) are coming from
address@hidden instead of a null-return path. Combined, Mailman
failed to recognize these as bounces.

As to why they actually got posted to the list, I'm not sure -- unless your
list configuration has changed recently. Right now the list is configured as
non-public and address@hidden is not a subscriber to the list.
If an admin hasn't reconfigured the list recently, let me know and I'll
investigate this point further.

Cheers.

-jag

(adding self as cc)