[Savannah-help-public] [sr #105461] Change project license from LGPL to

From: John Pritchard
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #105461] Change project license from LGPL to GPL
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:37:13 -0400

Let me try to respond to as many of your questions as I can.

The IOU project is very portable, and with no external dependencies.  I have
not validated (recently) precisely what package space it depends on, perhaps
as much as "1.4" level.  I know it compiles at "1.5" level with compile time
support for W3C DOM Level 3 (as for Classpath).  If this is important (I
don't see any mention on the public project pages), I can validate it with
greater precision.  (Although I'm a contributor to Classpath, I'm not an
everyday user of GCJ [unfortunately!] because building the latest on my
sparc-solaris-10 is a headache).

I've been using the 'gnu' namespace since before there was a 'nongnu', so
there is a degree of "grandfather" -slash- "too late now".  Otherwise I'm
fairly certain there's no general cause for Classpath or other interest in
the "gnu.iou" name --- it's not relevant to anything in known space.

The IOU package is not interesting for inclusion into Classpath because it
has no relation to implementing anything in that space.

Using the 'gnu' namespace for IOU is interesting inasmuch as IOU represents
the foundation of an application layer system architecture, one that is
platform agnostic and network centric.  In using this name I'm conceiving of
this little use of the name "gnu" as highly utilitarian.  Keeping IOU in
'gnu' space and outside my own name space is useful to me and may be useful
to others in seeing its independence and utility (once its first major
application is in release).

Part of my intention here is a long term strategy for assigning copyright(s)
to the FSF, something that I can't do yet today (and something that I can't
guarantee ever doing).

On the scope and uncertainty of long term planning (for open possibilities),
the 'syntelos' application of the IOU may find its way to becoming a member
of the Gnu System.  But until that happens (syntelos finds its way into the
world) it may not be evident why IOU is interesting where it is.  And then
once that happens the principle is that the foundation of the syntelos tool
chain is in IOU.

So for the record let me submit my humble stewardship of this corner of the
gnu namespace.

Hope that covers it.

cheers,

john