[savannah-help-public] [sr #109326] How do I add further commits to texi

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109326] How do I add further commits to texinfo git repository
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 15:19:28 -0400 (EDT)

Update of sr #109326 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => agn

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hello Gavin,

This is a custom hook for texinfo's git repository.
Since texinfo traditionally used svn, I assume someone (Karl?) added this hook
or asked this hook to be added to protect against undesirable commits.

This hook is vcs0:/net/vcs/srv/git/texinfo.git/hooks/update :
===
#!/bin/bash
# Allow push only by cvs2git.
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
user=$(id -un)
test "$user" = cvs2git && exit 0
echo "only cvs2git may push (you are $user)" 1>&2
exit 1
===

And it seems rather old:
===
$ ls -lh update
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 173 Nov  7  2008 update
===

I can easily disable it, but before I do - perhaps it's good to consult with
Karl about why was it there in the first place ?

Somewhat related:
If these are temporary changes that you'd later like to revert - you won't be
able to do that on savannah (non fast-forward commits are forbidden).

So I recommend either using a dedicated branch and not committing to 'master'
anything except official 'texinfo' commits.

We can also create a dedicated sub-repository (something like:
`texinfo/gsoc2017.git`).
Then it won't interfere with the real repository.
However - these will also remain forever and will not be deleted when GSOC is
over.
Sadly savannah is not suitable for ephemeral repositories.

regards,
 - assaf

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109326>

  Message sent via/by Savannah