[savannah-help-public] [sr #109343] ssh known_hosts conflicts svn and gi

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109343] ssh known_hosts conflicts svn and git
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 20:44:35 -0400 (EDT)

Oh, and I forgot to say that each and every different name that you use has
its own ssh known_hosts entry. There are dozens of potential names due to
aliasing.

For example each version control service has its own name git, svn, cvs, hg,
bzr, tla, and so forth.

And within each of those there are aliases.  For example git.savannah.gnu.org
may be aliased to git.sv.gnu.org which is a different host name, has a unique
known_hosts entry, but is the same host serving it since it is simply an alias
for it.  This multiplication increases the number of potential names.

And there are both gnu.org and nongnu.org aliases.  All of the gnu.org names
are aliased within nongnu.org.  And the reverse.  Therefore each of the above
multiplies again and increases the number of potential names.

Lots of potential names, all for the same machine.  Which seems somewhat
silly.  But in a perfect world we would have enough hardware resources to
split these into dedicated hardware for each big service so that the
combination of all of them at one time would not brown out the server.
Unfortunately it is an imperfect world and we are starved for resources and
only have one system for everything.  Which means that even though the
founders planned ahead we still have all of the eggs in one basket.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109343>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/