[sr #110579] Importing an existing git repository in a new Savannah proj

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110579] Importing an existing git repository in a new Savannah project
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 12:06:39 -0500 (EST)

Update of sr #110579 (project administration):

Follow-up Comment #2:

Hello.  I am glad to hear that you have resolved the problems on your own and
that you have been able to upload your git history.  Sorry that you did not
get a quicker response.  Sometimes all of the volunteers are busy.

In case other people search and find this ticket let me add a little more
description to hopefully help them out.  Mostly this is described in the
documentation page here.  Which is the best place for future people to look
because we can update that page.  (Which I see is in need of some updates as
git has changed somewhat since it was written.)  Also git is complex, subtle,
and fickle with various differences with each version.  It's difficult to
document it sufficiently in just a few words.  It needs a book.

https://savannah.nongnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit/

In short summary here however: While located in the local sandbox of the
developer directory one needs to create a new remote repository in the git
configuration.  Then push to that remote.

git remote add origin ssh://git.savannah.gnu.org/srv/git/projectnamehere.git

git push --follow-tags -u origin master

The --follow-tags option is new in newer versions of git and is now preferred
over the previous --tags option.  It should be used if available instead of
the --tags option.

The default names used here are arbitrary and you may use any names for remote
branches that you wish.  Please refer to the upstream git documentation for
the full details.

We always like to update the "unamed project" description.  Unfortunately this
requires admin action at this time.  Since I am answering this ticket I set it
for your project to the following.  I took it from your project description
page.  If you would like something different please simply ask and one of us
will be happy to change it.

Add fixed date-stamps with simple (and customizable) aux files and LuaLaTeX

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110579>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/