[sr #110591] errors during git push

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110591] errors during git push
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 21:33:41 -0500 (EST)

Update of sr #110591 (project administration):

Follow-up Comment #3:

The git hook problem was a git hook failure exactly as the error message said.
It was trying to run a post-receive hook which was a symlink pointing to a
location that did not exist on the new system.  I copied that from the old
system forward.  It is installed now.  Please try the push again and let me
know if it is successful now or not.

If there is one there will be more.  I will run a 'find' looking for symlinks
and see if I can spot any additional now dangling symlinks.

For the "suboptimal pack - out of memory" I have added some swap space to
increase the total available virtual memory on the system available to
processes.

I should have tried this before adding the swap but I did not.  After adding
the swap I ran gc manually.  Note that this is run automatically by cron.  It
used to be run once a month on all repositories but Emacs started timing out
taking longer than 60s and so frequency of this was increased to four times a
month.  It's now running weekly across all of the repositories.

root@vcs2:/net/vcs/git/gnulib.git# /usr/bin/time git gc
Counting objects: 247848, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (31652/31652), done.
Writing objects: 100% (247848/247848), done.
Total 247848 (delta 217482), reused 246201 (delta 216122)
Checking connectivity: 247848, done.

25.34user 1.57system 0:23.57elapsed 114%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
811432maxresident)k
128816inputs+134440outputs (8major+259025minor)pagefaults 0swaps

Of course this git-gc was run on top of the previous git-gc and therefore
won't be identical.  And it might not even be close to similar, due to the
previous action.  It will incrementally work forward each time.  But it does
not seem to have needed an excessive amount of memory.

I looked for "gc.log" files and found none present.

I am going to close the ticket but don't think that I have gone away.  I am
looking very closely at the system.  Please keep reporting anything you find
that is out of the ordinary.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110591>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/