How to get GNU Emacs to prefer tramp over ange-ftp?

From: skip
Subject: How to get GNU Emacs to prefer tramp over ange-ftp?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:15:14 -0600

So I've just got tramp installed for our GNU Emacs 21.3 install.  If I
execute something like

    emacs /ssh:somehost:/etc/hosts

Emacs still prefers ange-ftp.

If I (load "tramp") interactively it works.  Not really being a GNU Emacs
user anymore, I have two questions:

    1. Where can I stick the (load "tramp") call to make it the default?

    2. If I do that will people who actually use ange-ftp get screwed up or
       is tramp going to be backward-compatible with existing usage?  If
       not, can I make ftp be the default method or something similar?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro - address@hidden - http://www.smontanaro.net/