Re: emacs hangs when connecting from windows to linux with tcsh shell

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs hangs when connecting from windows to linux with tcsh shell
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:17:51 +0200

Peter Baranyi <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> Hello, i'd like to ask for help: emacs hangs when connecting from
> windows to linux using the plink: method.
>
> exec env ENV='' PROMPT_COMMAND='' PS1="#$" PS2='' PS3='' /bin/sh
> Illegal variable name.

The sequence PS1="#$" does not exist in Tramp 2.1.20. Could you, please,
check whether you have a shadow tramp.el lying around, from an earlier
installation? You could check it with

  M-x list-load-path-shadows

> If i change the shell from tcsh to bash, tramp works fine and emacs
> does not hang.  Is there another way to fix this?  I tried placing
> `if ( $TERM == "dumb" ) exec /bin/sh` on top of every automatically
> executed file like .login, but the $TERM variable was 'xterm', despite
> that tramp-terminal-type is set to 'dumb'.

Hmm, yes, $TERM is set later in the login sequence. It looks like the
method plinkx sets it at the very beginning, maybe this helps?

> Emacs also hangs when connecting to another machine with bash shell!
> Maybe because it has OTP (one time passwords) setup?

Maybe there is an unknown question for the password, not detected by
Tramp? You could tweak tramp-password-prompt-regexp, see the Tramp
manual, section "Remote shell setup", for discussion.