Re: Rclone?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Rclone?
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 14:19:19 +0100

Matt M <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael,

Hi Matt,

> Mostly what I do daily with rclone is:
> - ls (cli & macos finder using a mount)
> - copy* (copy from, really; finder+mount)
> - delete (finder+mount)
> - rename (aka move, finder+mount)
> - sync* (cli -- I sync between multiple clouds, redundacy)
> - move* (cli)
> - moveto* (cli)

Currently, tramp-rclone.el uses only "about", "mount", "copyto" and
"moveto" commands. This might change, 'tho.

> The move/moveto/sync/copy can take a long time, and are prone to
> errors (like cloud storage needing its garbage bin dumped), so having
> "progress" feedback is nice using -v, And of course, error feedback is
> very important, regardless of flags.

Well, adding a "-v" flag to the commands won't help in Tramp, because
they run in the background. I have wrapped the copyto/moveto commands by
Emacs' progress-reporter; you should see at least some "still alive"
indication.

Error handling is the default one in Tramp. Errors when running a
command shall be shown.

> Also, those commands can use lots of bandwidth, so I usually limit
> that with --bwlimit.  Otherwise, you may find your internet to be
> otherwise unusable for extended periods.  However, I do NOT limit
> bandwidth when copying down, as it is very tough for me to use up my
> download bandwidth.  YMMV.
>
> Those are really the only 2 flags I use.

I have added the  possiblity of to configure the command flags. For
copyto, you could do

(add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
             (list "^/rclone:"
                   "copyto-args" '("--bwlimit" "10M")))

This adds the --bwlimit flag for the copyto command to all Tramp files
which start with "/rclone:". If you want to add a flag for a given
storage (let's call it "storage", configured in rclone) only, you might
use the regexp "^/rclone:storage:" instead.

Similar you could add flags via the properties "moveto-args" and "mount-args".

All committed to the Tramp repository.

> I will give it a spin when I get time.  U.S. holiday, though ...
> (Also, I have no experience comparing tramp w/native.)

Take your time. And I don't need a step-by-step comparision between
Tramp's integration and the native use; feedback about the usability of
Tramp's integration is much appreciated.