Re: tramp (2.4.3.27.1 nil/nil); /sudo doesn't work

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: tramp (2.4.3.27.1 nil/nil); /sudo doesn't work
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 10:43:40 +0200

    Michael> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    Michael> Hi Robert,

    Michael> I've seen you're using Tramp's ELPA version. Maybe you
    Michael> deinstall/reinstall it? I have the vague impression that
    Michael> compilation of
    Michael> Tramp depends on the Emacs version you're running.
    >>
    >> That can definitely happen with org, so it could happen with Tramp as
    >> well. I do such updates from 'emacs --no-desktop' to ensure that no
    >> org/tramp functionality is loaded because of my buffers.

    Michael> Shouldn't there be a recommendation in the Emacs manual how to
avoid
    Michael> this trap? Or, at least, a bug report that such a trap exists?

Iʼm not sure what the manual would say?

"When doing package-list-packages and installing some unspecified
packages, do that from a 'clean' emacs"

(and ordinary users would not read that section of the manual anyway).

What might be better is a warning when upgrading packages that the
package is already loaded, and recommending the 'clean'
approach. Perhaps that could be a per-package opt-in?

Robert