Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); emacs-28.0.50: Can't copy a 1.4 MB file wit

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); emacs-28.0.50: Can't copy a 1.4 MB file with the plinkx method
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:27:07 +0200

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Dieter,

> Right, the archive consists of a few R code files and some html
> documentation with images.
>
>> So it looks like sending a large string to your remote process does not
>> work. Does it help to set tramp-chunksize, like
>>
>> (setq tramp-chunksize 500)
>
> It didn't work, this time I'm attaching a file with the debugging
> results and some comments.

I have applied the same test as you did, i.e. calling "emacs -Q" and
applied Emacs 29.0.50, but this shouldn't make a difference to 28.0.60,
they are still closed together wrt their sources.

> opening local and remote dired buffer : buffers are on 1 --
> iso-latin-1-dos (alias: iso-8859-1-dos latin-1-dos), even on the
> remote Gnu-Linux side!

Same here. This doesn't prevent to work Tramp correctly in my case. I
don't know whether we need to fix something here, usually I don't use MS
Windows.

> *tramp/plinkx Prod*
> FATAL ERROR: Incoming packet was garbled on decryption

Same error as you have reported last time. As said, I have no problem in
copying 2021-08-11_shard.tar.gz using the plinkx method.

>> See also the docstring of that variable.
>
> Unfortunately I can't apply your test because we only have password
> access to theses machines (I'm fighting already since two weeks that IT
> reconfigures that machine for keyfile access.)

It's a pity, yes. I still believe it is a problem of your remote host,
but we need to access it in order to check. Anyway, it seems to be an
old machine, according to its GNU/Linux version:

> 13:26:54.440669 tramp-send-command (6) # echo \"`uname -sr`\" 2>/dev/null;
> echo tramp_exit_status $?
> 13:26:54.446724 tramp-wait-for-regexp (6) #
> "Linux 3.10.0-1160.36.2.el7.x86_64"

Do you have another GNU/Linux machine, where you could copy this file
to? Just for test?

Otherwise, my best recommendation for now is too live with the pscp
method.

Btw, if you have a recent SSH client on your Windows machine, you could
also try the Tramp sshx or scpx methods. Some weeks ago, I've made some
changes to support them, OpenSSH 7.9 shall be sufficient. See
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_overview>.

I have installed

C:\Users\albinus>ssh -V
OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.1p1, LibreSSL 3.0.2

which might be the latest version offered by Microsoft, IIRC.