ac-archive-maintainers

Re: cvs log: converted m4 sources to canonical format

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: cvs log: converted m4 sources to canonical format
Date: 22 Jan 2005 08:35:04 +0100

Guido Draheim writes:

 > I guess that the tag contents are not allowed to be
 > free-format #pcdata ?

No, @category and @license both want registered keywords.
Those keywords can be arbitrary, though.

 > Why not using the names as visible, containing spaces
 > like "C Support"?

Allowing the submitter to specify an arbitrary category name
is, in my experience, an invitation for spelling errors. If
you write "AutoMack" instead of "Automake", then the
software will notice it immediately. If whatever you specify
at @category becomes the literal name of the category, then
a human _might_ notice we have "C Suppart" now when he looks
at the generated HTML page.

 > Do people have to do an inverse-lookup to know what
 > category/license hint text they have to add into the
 > macro text before submission?

The submitters can write into that field whatever they want,
or they can just leave it blank. What counts is what the
maintainer who commits the macro into CVS writes into that
field. Getting that stuff right is our job, so to speak, and
the software helps with that by drawing attention to any
suspicious content (because it knows which categories
exist).

I'll make sure, though, that the list of existing categories
is always right next to the submission instructions. ;-)

Anyway, I am open to suggestions for categories that do we
still need. "Python" has already come up, and I think the
entries

 > System Headers
 > System Utilities
 > Latex