ac-archive-maintainers

Re: cvs log: converted m4 sources to canonical format

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: cvs log: converted m4 sources to canonical format
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 04:53:12 +0100

Peter Simons wrote:
> Guido Draheim writes:
>
>  >> @category Evil Space Nazis Destroyed Atlantis
>
>  > [...] Ask the submitter (!) to edit the macro - or edit
>  > the macro and send it back to the submitter to show it.
>
> That's exactly what I do.
>

>  > That hurts, please, just don't play stupid - the target was:
>  >   Allowed @category syntax items in stored macro
>  >                  =identical=
>  >   Visible header names in the website listing
>
> That was the target? Weird, I can't remember ever reading
> about this topic until yesterday. When did we define that
> target?

aaargh, aaaaargh, aaaaaaaaaaargggggh,
that target of my question was seeking the thing to be
identical, I was giving proper reasoning that having
the website header names identical with submission category
name is a good thing - that's why these parts came in one
mail, ye know.

Anyway, I was using a category hint for some time, and I was
using the header names as on the website, those header names
were even the directory names before the xml adventure, I
have good experiences with that, it does seem logical to me
as it ensures new submissions are taking a good item in the
@category field, I did want to `make sync` lately, I wanted
to put sfnet-only macros up to gnu, I had to notice the
@category items on the latest gnu changes were different,
I did wonder about that aloud, as perhaps there was a
technical reason to have them different, i.e. having a
logic behind it that I can't see. I was trying to speak
softly trying to `correct` things as to what seems logical
to me in the first place. I should have been direct and
blunt in the first mail, and therefore...

>  > Is there _any_ reason why you want them not to be
>  > identical? Why is it "Misc" in the stored macro instead
>  > of "Miscellaneous", why is it "C" instead of "C Support"?
>
> Well, if you'd like to write
>
>   @category C Support
>
> instead of
>
>   @category C
>
> ..., then just let me know, okay? I said before that I can
> define any number of synonyms for the keywords.

Please change the @category names to bear the names being
visible on the website. Thank you.

--- have a nice day, guido