Re: [Adonthell-devel] Items(Corrected Spelling)

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Items(Corrected Spelling)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:28:27 +0100

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Kai Sterker wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 February 2002 10:31, you wrote:
> > > Just tested and had a quick look at the code, it's just fine! All the
> > > basic stuff we discussed/argued about is already in this base class.
> > > Light, powerfull and efficient. Maybe it's the character which should
> > > equip an item, and not the contrary, though.
> >
> > I agree that it looks a bit funny :). But I think being equipped is a
> > function of the item, and as such fits into the item class. If you know a
> > better solution, please let me know.
>
> Actually, this makes perfect sense. Here's why:

[snip]

Yep, your remarks are absolutely valid. However, it was rather a quesion of
how to implement this, as with the current code you would say

item->equip (character), whereas the more natural way would be to do
character->equip (item).

But that aside, I guess we'll go for something similar to that:

> Honestly, I'd like all characters to be able to wield all weapons, except
> that some classes are much better at using certain weapons. For instance,
> if you have a warrior and a wizard, but only 2 staffs in your inventory,
> the warrior should be able to wield a staff, but at a significantly less
> efficiency that the wizard. Therefore, if a person uses a weapons that
> they're skillful at, it should intensify the damage done with that weapon.

Kai