Re: [Adonthell-devel] gamedata CVS thoughts

From: Tyler Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] gamedata CVS thoughts
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:33:20 -0600

A couple comments.  Some xml doesn't merge any better than binary.  In some parts of xml files, order doesn't matter, so between one save and the next, a diff of a small change may show the whole file different (I've had this problem commiting xml project files).  So we may have to be careful with that when we do the editors.  Also, why not just have the engine accept ASCII data also.  Why go through the hassle of 2 formats.  The only benefit I can see is if we are trying to prevent people poking through the data and seeing plot/quest stuff.  But that doesn't seem like a big deal to me (especially if it is available by anonymous CVS).

Finally the BIG_ENDIAN change doesn't seem to work on my system.  I've tracked it down and BIG_ENDIAN is defined in /usr/include/endian.h.  So the #ifdef reports true on my computer (even though it is little endian)  I 'fixed' it on my machine by changing BIG_ENDIAN to __BIG_ENDIAN__ in 'configure.in' 'gfx/surface.cc' and 'base/endian.h'.  I haven't commited that because it seems like a hack, so I'm just reporting my results.

Tyler