Re: [Adonthell-devel] gamedata CVS thoughts

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] gamedata CVS thoughts
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:01:13 +0200

On 4/12/06, Tyler Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:

Wasn't aware that XML could lead to problems there ... but I see that now.
Having two different formats is quite a bit of waste, that's true.

The point for the binary game data format isn't so much cheating, but
reliability. Corrupted files can be detected due to the integrated
checksum. Also, the format as such is consistent across all data files
and probably faster to parse.

What might be a solution is to have two different writers/parsers.
That would mean, the editors could use the data objects present in the
engine without change, but can process ASCII data files that can more
easily be kept in CVS. That way, the overhead would be very small.

What do you think/propose?

>  Finally the BIG_ENDIAN change doesn't seem to work on my system.

Well, if that #define already exists on GNU/Linux, there's no way
around renaming it. I don't see that as a hack. Feel free to commit
your changes.

Kai