[Adonthell-devel] gamedata CVS thoughts

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] gamedata CVS thoughts
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:35:20 +0200

In contrast to v0.3, where kept all the gamedata private until the release, I'd like to create a public gamedata repository right from the beginning. Also in contrast to v0.3, this repository should not only contain the finished data, but also the "source" and documentation for this data.

Sources would include stuff like the dialogue source files, quest, character and map data (in case the editors use a format different from the game), plot graphs, etc. ...

Mainly, there are two reasons for doing this:
* If we want to work together on creating all that stuff, we'll need a place to
  share it. Like a CVS repository.
* Sources for v0.3 data are no longer around (except perhaps on some old backup
  CDs). This shouldn't happen with v0.4!

Keeping them in CVS would require that the files created by our editors are plain text (or xml) files. Using binary data would make collaborative work nearly impossible, as different changes couldn't be merged into the same file. So I think it is important that the editors read and write ASCII files, that can be converted into a format understandable by the engine.

Comments?

Kai