[Adonthell-devel] glog portability issues

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] glog portability issues
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:24:40 +0200

I'm currently forced to use my work laptop with Windows on it and as
it turns out, glog does not compile in a MinGW environment. People
have reported issues with a recent MinGW setup and it's much worse
with my ancient installation it seems:

   http://code.google.com/p/google-glog/issues/detail?id=27

To cut a long story short, I hacked glog, removing everything that
wasn't supported on my box: exit handlers, symlinks and truncating
logfiles. Together with the pthread implementation from

   http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/

I got it compiled and working, although I only verified this by
running worldtest.

All in all however, I am not really happy with that solution as I do
not completely trust the changes I made. So until MinGW gets
officially supported by glog, I suggest the following:

extend base::logging with empty definition(s) of the glog LOG macro(s)
and init function that get used when glog is not present (or when we
want to create a release build without logging). Similar to glogs NLOG
macro or base/gettext.h. In our code, only include base/logging.h
instead of glog/logging.h. base/logging.h in turn includes
glog/logging.h if glog is present.

I can do that myself, but right now I want to continue working on the
Waste's Esge graphics, and I am at a point where I can do that :-).

Kai

P.S.: Tried to upload my glog-0.3.0-mingw to the Adonthell website,
but looks like they disabled ftp access. Need to talk to the
linuxgames folks and figure out how to get access again ;-).