Re: [Adonthell-devel] Waste's Edge progress

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Waste's Edge progress
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:42:14 +0200

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:44 AM, Tyler Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I didn't know about it (I didn't know you could jump), but it's in the area
> I'm look at, so I'll look at it.  Just for the record, here is a list of
> things I'm planning on working on:
>
> * Bad shadow placement, both on the stairs, and there are some oddities
> below and to the right of the stairs.
> * Making the shadows work correctly on the 'original' staircase.
> * Jumping not working correctly.
>
> After that, I'll look at the map interaction task you mentioned earlier.  Is
> there anything setup for bug tracking that I should be using?

Not really. The bug tracker at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=adonthell is mostly meant to be
used by end-users. I once started a little bug list on the Wiki,
mostly for stuff that's annoying, but not important enough to fix
immediately:

http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Tasks:Bugfixes

I'm not sure if we need some sort of task management to coordinate our
work. Savannah offers something for that, but right now it's disable
for Adonthell. Would look like this:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?group=tyk

I believe as long as we coordinate via the mailing list, so that
everyone can see what tasks are being worked on, we're fine. However,
if any of you prefers a more formal approach, so be it :-). It's just
a mouse-click to activate the task manager.

Regarding jumping. With the newer version it's less obvious, as the
keybinding moved from space to left ctrl. (holding left shift, or caps
lock) toggle running, btw.).

I can't even remember why jumping came in; it's something that Alex
had done initially. Kind of liked it, though, as it ties the
environment more into the gameplay. My idea is that one of the skills
(http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Rules:Stats#Skills) governs
the character's speed and ability to jump, so that a higher level
character can reach "hidden" areas while others cannot. It's probably
nothing to overuse (Ultima 8 received lots of criticism for having
"jump 'n run" passages essential to the main plot), but I think it if
used right, it can add to the overall experience.

It's also the reason why the test map included with the source has
those strange "tables".

Kai