Re: [aspell-devel] What should version info for a libaspell.dll contain?

From: Jose Da Silva
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] What should version info for a libaspell.dll contain?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:49:00 -0700

On September 17, 2006 12:04 pm, Gary Setter wrote:
> I have a simple Windows program that uses aspell for it's spell
> check feature. The source forge page is here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/descdatadiary

Hi Gary,
I think you should rather be concerned about the "GPL police" and not
what anyone in Aspell or any other project think.

A basic requirement for GPL or LGPL is that the end user have source
code available so that they can modify their version of code whether
you ship Aspell as-is or modify it to fit your-their needs, you still
need to ship (or make available) a copy of the Aspell "you" used for
your project and it needs to be complete enough that an end user should
be able to compile your copy without hassle.
About the only exception I can think of right now is if you agree with
your upstream, in this case, Aspell, Kevin, that they provide the
necessary code version you used.

I read a few articles about this and tried searching back, so this is
about as close to what you really need or care to know.
Hopefully this is all relative food for thought:

"GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"
http://www.gatago.com/gnu/misc/discuss/21887281.html
or a better reference is here:
http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/23/1728205&tid=150

and this:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/05/087224
take particular note of what the author wrote because it points to a
relevant GPL/LGPL page that talks about linking to external libraries:
http://www.jinchess.com/ichessu/

> I called it version 0.0.0.1 and under comments I have this:
> "Based on Aspell 0.61 from CVS with changes for Descriptive Data
> Diary project."
> No company name, no trademark, no endearing icon.
> Is this what you want, or should I make changes, or remove it?

One of the nice things about the GPL or LGPL is that you don't need
anyone's permission to modify something to meet your needs.
The only notable exceptions is "not to mix code" from different licenses
that are incompatible with each other, here is a good reference to show
the problems/realities of trying to keep everything "above board":
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/016618.html

If you make it for others to use, you need to provide source code.
It's been a requirement since the beginning.

If you follow other projects, you will note complete packages as well as
patches/changes they made to fit their needs.
Go to www.google.com and type this in the search box:
aspell zzz patch
where you substitute these words for zzz:
bsd, debian, ubuntu, mandriva, memphis, ...or any other project or
distribution.

Hopefully this covers all the details of what you want to know.