Re: [AUCTeX] preview-latex on Fedora Core 4

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview-latex on Fedora Core 4
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:35:14 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Alejandro Jakubi <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I intend to try AUCTeX with preview-latex. I have Fedora Core 4 and
>> what yum got was ver. 11.81 in emacs-auctex-11.81-1.fc4.rpm, where
>> preview-latex is missing.
>>
>> I have thought of different possibilities:
>>
>> 1. copying (by hand) the missing files from auctex-11.82-pkg.tar.gz
>>
>> 2. idem, but from the compilation of auctex-11.82.tar.gz
>>
>> 3. make install of this compilation over the rpm instalation
>>
>> 4. make install of just preview-latex in case that there is an option
>> for that
>>
>> Which is the recomended way to add preview-latex?
>
> Complain to the maintainer of the 11.81 package.  There is no excuse
> to disable preview-latex when building since it always can be done
> using with options --without-texmf-dir in which case none of the
> preview parts need to get coordinated with teTeX or other packages.

Anyway, some more advice: mixing installations is the worst idea
whatsoever.  I think, however, that you should have a reasonable
chance to compile an RPM file yourself:

Just get the latest suse src RPM file from the download site of AUCTeX
at <URL:ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex> and do an
rpmbuild --rebuild
on it.  You should have a reasonable chance of having this work.

If not, you can deinstall AUCTeX and do a ./configure, make, make
install from the tarball.