Re: [AUCTeX] preview-latex on Fedora Core 4

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview-latex on Fedora Core 4
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:41:51 +0100

Alejandro Jakubi <address@hidden> writes:

> A few examples of "features" that I do not like very much of Emacs:
>
> 1. Limited hotkey combinations. As most default mappings that I have
> seen have the form Ctrl-<key>, it seems that not very much else is
> available.
> This would be the reason why eg AUCTeX binds some commands to four
> Ctrl-<key>'s. And four Ctrl-<key>'s for operations that I would
> do frequently is not pleasant.

Uh, disagree.  It is easier to keep a control key pressed during the
sequence rather than release it in the middle.

> 2. Bad font display. I have tried some monotype fonts, but I have not
> yet found something good enough. Eg currently I am using this setting:
>
> Emacs.Font: -b&h-luxi mono-medium-r-normal--14-0-0-0-m-0-adobe-standard
>
> in my .Xresources. This is (apparently) the same font that I have (by
> default) in my consoles and editors, but characters display much worse
> and with smaller interline separation.

Are you sure that is the right syntax?  I have in my .Xresources just

Emacs.font: 10x20

and it looks swell.

> 3. Configuration design. I find strange the logic behind the design of
> Options > Customize Emacs, too far away from what is usual in most
> other applications. Besides there are too many things to look at. This
> makes configuration rather difficult.

The Customize interface is subject of ongoing discussions on the
developer list.

[...]

> But LyX is not a good option for me. One of the reasons being that
> it cannot handle properly more complex macros and packages that I
> use frequently. That is, an editor with preview mode is much better.

I feel more comfortable with being responsible for every byte of my
source code instead of trying to figure out how I can coax a complex
system to output what I want.

But others have other needs.

>> You can, obviously, implement stuff in other editors as well.  And
>> preview.sty has been employed in quite a few other settings, in
>> particular in connection with dvipng.  But the maturity of
>
> I know very little of programming to do that. Indeed, I would like to
> give a try to these other editors if you do not mind sending some
> pointers.

Well, LyX is one, and then there are a few converters for different
languages and systems using it and/or dvipng, like tbookdtd
<URL:http://tbookdtd.sf.net> or WeBWorK.  However, those are not
editors, but conversion frameworks.