Re: [AUCTeX] including source specials in auctex 11.86

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] including source specials in auctex 11.86
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:27:43 +0200

* Rainer Thiel (2010-03-28) writes:

> It seems that a substantial part (if not all) of the problem was due
> to the following line in my .emacs:
>
>      (require 'latex)
>
> I included it to be able to bind a key in the LaTeX mode map
> [(define-key LaTeX-mode-map "\C-cf" 'rth-insert-footnote)].

The canonical way of doing something like this is to use
`eval-after-load'.  So you could use the following statement (untested):

(eval-after-load "latex"
  '(define-key LaTeX-mode-map "\C-cf" 'rth-insert-footnote))

> As far as I can see so far, my problem(s) with auctex 11.86 are gone
> when I comment out that line.  I can live with this, although of
> course, I included the line for a reason.
>
> Any idea what that problem might be due to?

There is probably some code in AUCTeX which relies on certain variables
or functions being defined when the respective Elisp file is loaded.
But I don't have a concrete example for that right now.