Re: [AUCTeX] forward / backward with xpdf (was Re: Where and how TeX-evi

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] forward / backward with xpdf (was Re: Where and how TeX-evince-sync-view is defined?)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 09:08:36 +0200

Mandar Mitra <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've stopped using Evince because of that and configured back to
>> Xpdf.  At one point of time, both Xpdf and Evince will segfault at
>> startup in the same version of Ubuntu and then I'm going to have a
>> problem.
>
> During a forward search with evince, I get a red rectangle locating
> the text where I'm at. Does xpdf have this feature as well?

No, I don't think so.  xpdf is only called via its command line
interface which only supports the command "go to page X" whereas
Evince's DBUS interface allows for specifying page, line, and column.

> This is the only reason I stick to Evince.  In the recent versions, my
> customised keybindings for Evince have also stopped working.

I used to use Evince up to version 3.14 with no issues, and the current
version 3.16 also works fine here (in general and also its interplay
with AUCTeX), so that looks like an Ubuntu-specific problem to me.

Anyway, since a few months I use PDF-Tools [1] as my main PDF viewer.
It's like Emacs' doc-view-mode on steroids, i.e., it's also a PDF viewer
in Emacs which supports isearch (with highlighting!), annotations
(reading and editing!), etc, etc, and I've already added support for it
in AUCTeX.  So you might want to give it a go.

Bye,
Tassilo
[1] https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools