Re: --build and --host

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Subject: Re: --build and --host
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:39:49 -0300

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> I think you just want to specify --build, no?

*I* would be happy enough specifying --build (for autoconf 2.52+), and
sending fix for any eventual breakages that causes to upstream...  But one
can count on someone getting all pissed in d-devel that we are not fixing
the whole issue at once, or that 'this entire stuff does not change anything
in *my* packages, why should I care'.

So, it will have to wait until Debian "woody" is out.

> Why do you think config.guess has to be modified?

I am not 100% sure about this yet.  It _is_ the easiest, change-almost-
nothing quick-fix way. Mind you, we have a canonical source for the host
arch when building Debian packages, that is given by some of the output of
dpkg-architecture.  If config.guess always returns that, configure scripts
generated by 2.13 and 2.52+ will just assume a native build with the arch we
want for ia32, and will not break on other archs either.

That will not fix the entire problem (no crosscompiling support), but it is a
quick fix I can get inside all the packages that need to be updated for
MIPS* before release, and inside all the packages that use GNU config in
time for the woody+1 Debian release.

(Such a modified config.guess script will also be faster, less prone to
breakage, and will never cause trouble on recent archs that always require
the config.* scripts to be updated. With some luck, anyway).

It is also woody+1 material, I think.

> And if you want to set up to allow cross compiling, you can do that by
> looking at DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE, as suggested by Marcus Brinkmann
> [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200202/msg00353.html]
> --- though he got "host" and "build" reversed.

The --host and --build needing to be reversed according to whichever
autoconf got used to produce the configure script is a major pain in the
*** in this whole issue, and what send me to this list to begin with :)

> I still think that you can fix the "build" problem and leave "host" until
> later.
> [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200202/msg00832.html]

I am aiming to get the entire, proper, safe fix that includes crosscompiling
support and is not an ugly hack (whatever that solution ends up being) for
woody+1, which gives me enough time to try to understand all the angles of
the problem.  Right now, I think a Debian-aware config.guess plus a small
wrapper that sets --host and --build for cross-compilation is the answer.

You will be happy to know that I am smuggling the wrapper (that currently
does nothing other than call the configure script) into woody so that people
won't be able to complain that we are breaking source-compatibility with
woody if we go with your suggestion of a wrapper.  It is called
"/usr/bin/configurewrapper", and belongs to the autotools-dev package right
now.  Yes, the name is ugly on purpose (but if you have any better ideas
that don't start with dh_, send them my way. I can try to smuggle in that
change in a critical priority upload).

  Henrique Holschuh