RE: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: RE: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:50:02 -0400 (EDT)

On 2004-09-07T14:43-0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
) Daniel Reed wrote:
) > Cygwin almost certainly is the correct long-term answer to
) > your problem.
) I don't agree.  Even if Cygwin / Mingw builds get a lot better, there
) are still valid reasons to port to MSVC.  And, I don't see that
) arbitrary open source authors will *ever* be forced to provide good
) build maintenance, just because of a mailing list about Cygwin packaging
) admonishing them to do so.

You are not required to use GCC if you use Cygwin; you are required to use a
C compiler with similar syntax to GCC if you use an autoconf configure
script. You can use Cygwin's build environment (including its awk, sed, cut,
bash) without using *all* of its components (ld, gcc, libc).

) > the latter
) > duplicates the work put into systems like Cygwin.
) One difficulty I've run into in Cygwin packaging, is they seem to
) hardwire compiler *.h paths.  If I could easily retarget them to use
) MSVC, I've missed something.  Any suggestions?

configure will use your system compiler to test for libraries in whatever
location your system compiler uses by default. Find a wrapper around your
compiler and run ./configure CC=/path/to/wrapper and go from there. The
header files in /usr/include (C:\cygwin\usr\include) should never be
referenced.

--
Daniel Reed <address@hidden>    http://people.redhat.com/djr/
http://naim.n.ml.org/