Re: Noooooooooo!

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: Noooooooooo!
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:57:04 +1000

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> I've used cross-compiles (off and on) for years

Me too.

> Then I created the proper names using symlinks and the problem went
> away.

Exactly. Fiddling with PATH variables for cross compiling is a huge
PITA and fragile as hell. You end up doing "echo $PATH" all the time
and ocassionally even being forced to manually fix the PATH because
in the current xterm that you are using you are on a i386 Linux
system, but about a week ago you compiled for arm-linux and now you
want to compile for i586-mingw32msvc.

For the cases when a symlink won't do, a very simple shell script
wrapper will.

   http://www.mega-nerd.com/erikd/Blog/CodeHacking/MinGWCross/pkg-config.html

This stuff just works. Now.

> I've yet to see a case where fixing this in the way autoconf "wants" is
> even mildly difficult.

Indeed.

> If one doesn't have root, just make a subdir that contains the symlinks
> and add that subdir to the PATH.

Exactly.

> If it's time to "go one way or the other", let's DTRT and lose this old
> hackaround.

Agree++.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
UNIX *is* user-friendly, just picky about who it
chooses for friends!