Re: Noooooooooo!

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Noooooooooo!
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:03:15 +0000

Bob Rossi wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 06:12:13PM +0000, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > I've used cross-compiles (off and on) for years and I gotta say the
> > first time I got this message I probably did some pissing and moaning.
> > But I do believe that proper naming is the way to go.
> >
> > Then I created the proper names using symlinks and the problem went
> > away.
>
> I don't know anything about what you guys are talking about, but, i know
> that symlinks don't work well on windows. Do you have a workaround for
> msys/windows, or systems that don't handle symlinks well?

Hard links?  Shortcuts?

Whatever will get the proper names in the PATH.

For Unix, symlinks in an arbitrary subdirectory are for those really
insane cases where local politics prevents the correct solution.  This
also usually means that nobody really understands or cares what is going
on and the buld tools are not versioned and product releases are being
handled by kooks, (young) programmers or BOFHs, instead of people who
are really interested in releasing a 'product'.

My opinion, of course.