Re: Strictness

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Strictness
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:00:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007, [UTF-8] Carl Fürstenberg wrote:

In plenty of projects I have encountered, the "gnu" strictness is toostrict, but also, the "foreign" strictness is too little sometimes. Thus I suggest a new strictness, somewhere in between gnu and foreign,lets call it "relaxed", it's simlar to 'gnu', but only following filesare required:'INSTALL', 'AUTHORS' and 'README', plus one of 'COPYING.LIB','COPYING.LESSER', 'COPYING', or 'LICENSE'. The reason for this is:ChangeLog: often mostly a duplicate of svn/cvs logs, seldom really usedNEWS: Often projects uses an other mean of media for news.LICENSE: some projects calls the license as LICENSE instead of COPYING

Only projects overcome with sloth do not maintain a ChangeLog. Version control systems come and go and are often not accessible to everyone while the tarball may continue to exist after the authors of the program have deceased. It does not seem wise to encourage sloth in open source software.

I don't see that yet another adjustment knob is justified given the small benefit to humanity. If this change is made, then it should be called "indolent" rather than "relaxed".

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn