Re: Strictness

From: Carl Fürstenberg
Subject: Re: Strictness
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:33:22 +0200

On 8/11/07, Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007, Noah Slater wrote:
> >
> > Of course most of us work on computers - because they make us more
> > efficient. How many emails have you sent this week - how long would
> > that have taken you with a pen and paper? (telephone networks are
> > computers so you cant cound ringing someone)
>
> Since I am lazy, I would be unlikely to write anything with pen and
> paper.  But I am not too lazy to update a ChangeLog!
>
> For me, source tarballs represent the complete open source product so
> the ChangeLog should be included.  This could be generated via some
> tool based on information from the version control system.
>
> I am still using open source software written long ago (e.g. 'tar')
> which is still quite valuable outside of whatever version control
> system (SCCS?) that John Gilmore used.  FYI, a couple of years ago I
> worked for John Gilmore and he is definitely not involved with
> software development any more.
>
> Bob
> ======================================
> Bob Friesenhahn
> address@hidden, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

The problem I have with generating ChangeLog, is that it will be BIG,
for example, bmpx generate at the moment ChangeLog from svn log, and
it ends up to 2.6 MB.

Also, I have seem plenty of projects having empty ChangeLog, NEWS
etc... just to be able to get INSTALL autocopied.

This isn't a proposal to replace the gnu option, more of a more strict foreign.

--
/Carl Fürstenberg <address@hidden>