Re: [avr-chat] simple Q: looking for avrdude.exe like 5.2 for win-XP

From: Stuart Longland
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] simple Q: looking for avrdude.exe like 5.2 for win-XP
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 03:48:03 +1000

On 15/01/17 23:27, georg chambert wrote:
> well thats another build suggestion. it says "its not rocket science to
> build" but it is, when you are
> not into all directories, all setups to get things  in the right place,
> pieces n libs all over, and you dont want to destroy
> what you have going alread, and when this  is just a thing you need, but
> dont want to spend time on this sidetrack.

I just had a look at the instructions here:

http://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/user-manual/avrdude_19.html

It is almost copy-paste.  The `set PREFIX=<your install directory path>`
is possibly the only tricky bit.  Cygwin represents the Windows drive
letters as virtual mount points under /cygdrive, and you'll need to
quote paths with spaces, so if you made the common mistake of using
spaces in a path name, that command will look something like:

$ set PREFIX="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/WinAVR"
… followed by the rest.

It is messier on Windows than on Linux or Unix, but you can blame
Microsoft for that, to me though, that is far from rocket science.

If you find it rocket science, I would seriously reconsider
microcontroller development in general, where things get a lot messier
than this.  (Think building gcc/binutils, C library, getting the C++
compiler to build…, then building your code with gcc)

Seriously, if in doubt, take a back-up of your existing installation,
then give it a try, taking good notes as you do so.

Then you can roll back if needed, and we can help you if you get stuck.

> You know Murphy, all the simplest things go wrong. and then you are in
> the desert.
> so tnx, but still; is there  a plain.exe

If you want to put utter blind faith in a precompiled binary… the Google
search query "avrdude Windows binary" came up with this as the second hit:

https://m8051.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/avrdude-on-windows-long-time-after.html

Scroll down, and the page gives a Google Drive link to someone's
compiled binary.  I have no idea whether it is newer or older than
what's in WinAVR.  Nor do I have any idea as to the reliability or
trustworthyness of the binary.

Downloading random files (especially binaries) from an untrusted source
is a well trodden path to malware infection on most platforms,
particularly Windows, thus one should only consider this as an absolute
last resort.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...