Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATmega32/ATmega323

From: Peter Jansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATmega32/ATmega323
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:38:23 +1100

David,

> Thanks for the info.  I agree it is better to have an identifiable
> script for the processor in use.  I was already using the correct
> startup file but pointing to it using the -L attribute.  Do you have
> a particular reason for pulling it into the working directory?

No what ever works for your project.

> Not being very familiar with linker scripts why are 5 scripts for
> each processor provided.  They are clearly different but I cannot
> easily discover the reason for the existence of each of them.
> Do you know?  I would appreciate a brief explanation.

from the binutils/ld/genscripts.sh source,

# Generate 5 or 6 script files from a master script template in
# ${srcdir}/scripttempl/${SCRIPT_NAME}.sh.  Which one of the 5 or 6
# script files is actually used depends on command line options given
# to ld.  (SCRIPT_NAME was set in the emulparams_file.)
#
# A .x script file is the default script.
# A .xr script is for linking without relocation (-r flag).
# A .xu script is like .xr, but *do* create constructors (-Ur flag).
# A .xn script is for linking with -n flag (mix text and data on same
page).
# A .xbn script is for linking with -N flag (mix text and data on same
page).
# A .xs script is for generating a shared library with the --shared
#   flag; it is only generated if $GENERATE_SHLIB_SCRIPT is set by the
#   emulation parameters.

Use the .x one.

Regards,

--