Re: [avr-gcc-list] gdb and the stk500

From: Jason Kyle
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] gdb and the stk500
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:24:05 +1300

At 20:29 6/10/2002, Shaun Jackman wrote:
On the stk500 there's a at90s8535 that controls the target
chip. I'm not totally familiar with the board yet, but I thought it
might be controlling the target chip through jtag. In which case, the
serial connection to the master could be used to debug the target
chip. Does the stk500 have a debug protocol built into it?

No, the 90s8535 is merely generating the supply voltage references, clock frequency, and of course handling the in circuit SPI programming of target devices. There is no JTAG control of target devices on an STK500.

The STK501 (with mega128 installed) can be used with the JTAGICE box, as far as I am aware this is the only STK500/501 configuration supporting JTAG without any hardware mods on the stk500.

My question boils down to this. With just a stk500 connected to my
serial port, is there any way to make "(gdb) target remote
/dev/ttyS0" work?

Sorry, no such luck! At present there is only one way to debug a target via JTAG and that uses the JTAGICE.

Jason Kyle