Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVRDude command line options

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVRDude command line options
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 05:56:20 -0700

On 24 Nov 2003 at 23:33, Robert Ussery wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I've just started using the AVRDude program, and there are a few things I
> don't yet understand. I ran AVRDude using the sample program (after having
> compiled/linked/etc. it, and having obtained the .hex file) using the
> following command:
>
> avrdude -p at90s8515 -c STK500 -e -m flash -i c:\demo.hex
>
> This worked, except that I received the message: "WARNING: the -f, -i, -I,
> -o, and -m options are deprecated. Please use the -U option instead."
>
> After investigating the -U option, I tried again with:
>
> Avrdude -p at90s8515 -c STK500 -U flash:w:c:\demo.hex
> And
> Avrdude -p at90s8515 -c STK500 -U flash:w:"c:\demo.hex"
>
> neither of which worked. I received the message:
> "Invalid file format '\' in update specifier"
>
> Clearly, what avrdude is doing is interpreting the ":" in c:\ as the
> separator between the file name and file type sections of the -U command. Is
> there anything I can do to remedy this (other than putting AVRdude in the
> same directory as the .hex file)?
> Thanks!

Actually, it's the backslash that's causing the main problem (see the error
message).
avrdude comes from a unix/linux background where only forward slashes are used
delineate directory paths.

However, The issue with using Windows drive letters needs to be checked out to
see
if they're even being handled at all. .... And, now that I think of it, I need
to check if
spaces in the pathname are handled at all too.

> In the meantime, I guess I'll just continue using the -i and other
> "deprecated" commands.

Yes. Please do so until this issue is resolved, thanks.

Eric