Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATTiny12 and gcc

From: Bruce D. Lightner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATTiny12 and gcc
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:07:39 -0800

<x-flowed>
Ulrich Schweitzer wrote:

On Friday 26 March 2004 13:59, Eric van Rijswick wrote:

Is there no way to build C-code for the ATTiny12?

There was a discussion about using avr-gcc with ATTiny-MCUs in may 2003 on this list. Bruce Lightner described how to do it here:
http://www.avr1.org/pipermail/avr-gcc-list/2003-May/004438.html
It doesn't seem to be easy, though.
Ulrich

There seems to be a lot of interest in this based on the email I've received. I've put together a distribution for Windows which I use for progamming ATtiny15L parts using avr-gcc.

Take a look at this 3.2 Mbyte ZIP file, which should have almost everything you need...

   http://www.lightner.net/avr/ATtiny.zip

See the README.txt file in the distribution's base directory and another README.txt file in the "projects" subdirectory. Also read the comments at the beginning of the "Makefile".

This is setup for the older "gcc 2.95" so I've included a complete binary distribution of this for Windows. (This also works under Linux, if you have the gcc 2.95 avr-gcc distribution, like I do.)

You will have to adapt the "make load" logic for your own programmer.

There is also "make" logic for "make sim" and "make wave" which uses my own "home grown" AVR simulator. This C-based AVR simulator runs *faster* than realtime on modern PC processors (under both Linux and Windows), but I don't distribute it because it's writtin in ugly, blazingly fast, C-code with zero documentation. It can output VCD "waveform" files for viewing using WinWave, an amazing bit of open-source software...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Campus/3216/GTKWave/gtkwave-win32.html

Please read the comments in the "Makefile" regarding the ATtiny "OSCCAL" oscillator calibration byte. My custom-made AVR PC parallel port programmer reads and inserts this value into program memory such that the ATtiny part can automatically calibrate itself after reset. This makes "bit banged" UARTs work perfectly.

I'm happy to answer questions, but be warned, this stuff is *not* for "newbies". Much of this is based on knowing AVR assembly code very well, and knowing exactly how "avr-gcc" converts C into AVR machine code.

Best regards,

Bruce

--
 Bruce D. Lightner