Re: [avr-gcc-list] avrdude: Cannot program ATmega8 using JTAG ICE mkII

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avrdude: Cannot program ATmega8 using JTAG ICE mkII
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 00:28:48 +0100 (MET)

"Shaun Jackman" <address@hidden> wrote:

>       avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0x80

> The error message seems a little curious, since I'm not using a
> stk500v2 at all, but the AVR JTAG ICE mkII in ISP mode.

But the ISP mode of the JTAG ICE mkII is essentially an embedded
AVRISP mkII firmware, wrapped into the JTAG ICE communication.  Then
again, the AVRISP mkII firmware is nothing else but an STK500v2
firmware (though the AVRISP mkII, being USB-only, doesn't use the
packet framing the original STK500 does).

Thus, all three use the very same implementation in stk500v2.c.  (The
same applies to the AVR Dragon in ISP mode.)

> Writing |                                                    | 0%
> 0.00savrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0x80
> avrdude: stk500v2_paged_write: write command failed

If you run avrdude with -vvvv, it will dump the programmer
communication to stderr.  Similarly, at the end of appnote AVR068,
there's a description how to produce a trace of the STK500
communication.  You might try comparing the relevant part of both
traces to see where the difference might be.