Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-objdump not including source from main() ?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-objdump not including source from main() ?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:50:06 +0100 (MET)

Bill Westfield <address@hidden> wrote:

> well, based on my experiences so far, I was expecting an answer of
> the form "that's this issue here, even though the description
> doesn't sound anything alike", or "you fool! objdump was never
> intended to disassemble the .init9 subsection!"

By the time objdump runs, it doesn't know anymore about any input
sections, it's only got the main output sections (.text, .data, .bss).

Source code must be trackable by means of linenumber debugging
information in order to be included.  So if that debugging information
is missing, objdump won't be able to correlate the code addresses to
source files.

You can use avr-objdump -g to analyze stabs line number (and other
debugging) information, or avr-objdump -Wl to analyze DWARF-2 line
number information.