Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complain

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complaints
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:38:46 +1100

Brian Dean wrote:
Hi,

Would folks here object too loudly if we trimmed down the
documentation of AVRDUDE to just the Unix man page?  The reason I ask
is that many folks have trouble building avrdude from source.  Nearly
all the problems boil down to building the docs.  The program itself
is quite simple with few non-standard dependencies, but the
documentation requires a TeX distribution of some sort which is quite
heavy weight.

Does Windows support Unix man pages?  All other of our platforms do,
and the man format is quite lightweight.  I would prefer that we move
essential documentation to just the man page.  AVRDUDE is not a very
complex program, after all.

Any thoughts or comments?

-Brian

Many projects confine the large-scale documents to only be
built when the tools are available. This can be checked
in configure.ac and flags set. Additionally, they often
only do those docs with "make docs/dvi/ps/pdf/info".

I'd hate to see detail lost just because a few noobs can't
install the right packages.