Re: [avrdude-dev] Atmel's XML part description files

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Atmel's XML part description files
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:22:04 -0700

Galen Seitz wrote:

E. Weddington <address@hidden> wrote:

Russell Shaw wrote:

E. Weddington wrote:

The other issue has to do with licensing. We need to check with
Atmel if it's ok to redistribute their XML files. I can check on
that.

Bad news on this. I just got word from Atmel, and we do NOT have
permission to redistribute Atmel's XML part description files.

But, I suppose, we're always free to make our own.

It's a shame that they're unwilling to do this.

Do you think it is worth pushing back on this?  I could ask my Atmel FAE
to do some arm twisting, but I'd rather not do that unless we think we
can change their position.  Do you have a sense of how strongly they feel
about this?

I asked the Atmel engineer in Norway who wrote the ELF/DWARF2 parser for AVR Studio. He asked his department manager and the answer "is so far no". Perhaps it will change in the future. I doubt it's worth fighting about; though I wish they could change their mind and/or provide better reasoning why not. I doubt a FAE could persuade them differently, but there's no harm in trying either.

In the end, this is data that is public. IANAL, but I think we could just strip out the data we need and repackage it.

Eric