Re: [avrdude-dev] Atmel's XML part description files

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Atmel's XML part description files
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:05:42 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> Bad news on this. I just got word from Atmel, and we do NOT have
> permission to redistribute Atmel's XML part description files.

That I have been afraid, too.

I haven't looked into the Atmel XML files, but I'd surprised to find
the detailed level of ISP commands etc there that avrdude.conf is
using.  They probably wouldn't need it that way, as they do not run
ISP in the host computer's software but only in AVR910 or STK500-style
programmers that know about these details in their firmware.

Maybe we might keep these data separately somewhere in CVS, and
combine them into the actual avrdude.conf by merging the ISP
information with XML-derived information.

As we are not allowed to store the XML files directly in CVS, we do
need to keep the compiled (and/or merged) version in CVS as well.
Just assume for a moment they'd completely withdraw their XML files
some day, or restructure them completely -- we'd be lost then.