Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: 10 Dec 2005 09:04:46 +0100

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is an example of the Axiom "EndPaper" graphic produced by
> GraphViz:
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxEndPaper

Although I question the usefulness of such graphs, yours is very
beautiful. Still: what can you do with such a graph?

My workflow is regularly as follows:

* state the problem and collect keywords

* )wh th keyword
  or
  grep -i keyword /source/algebra/*

* see whether there is anything which might be useful

* browse the operations, constructors with HyperDoc and possibly look at
  relatives using "ancestors", "children", "domains", etc.

One missing feature of such graphs is that they are not indexed, although this
is certainly possible with hyperlinks. The second missing feature is the list
of domains, again, this can be implemented using hyperlinks, I
suppose. Clicking on the node could give you a list of domains...

However, I fail to see any advantage over clicking on "domains", "children",
"ancestors", etc. in hyperdoc.

Still, it looks very nice and could be used for advertising purposes. In no
circumstance I would layout such a graph by hand.

Martin