RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:34:55 -0800 (PST)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> On December 12, 2005 11:38 AM C Y wrote:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxEndPaper/editform
> >
> > Hmm - I seem to have a problem with my setup - it won't let
> > me see it.
>
> Well, ah I presume that you at least get the page that says you
> must set your name and email address in preferences before you
> are allowed access to the edit page, right? Just do that and
> try again. It should work.

I was being dumb - I just needed to refresh that page.  Something in IE
refused to automatically update.  Mutter... browser...

> > > This also makes it impossible at present to include
> > > hyperlinks in the graph.
> >
> > I'll see if I can dig around with graphviz on my machine and
> > come up with something.
>
> Great. Let me know what you find. So far the most relevant info
> I have found is here:
>
> http://www.graphviz.org/doc/info/output.html
>
> Output Formats
>
> ps2
> Produces PostScript output with PDF notations. It is assumed
> the output will be directly converted into PDF format. The
> notations include PDF bounding box information, so that the
> resulting PDF file can be correctly used with pdf tools, such
> as pdflatex. In addition, if a node has a URL attribute, this
> gets translated into PDF code such that the node, when viewed
> in a PDF-viewer, e.g., acroread, is a link to the given URL.
> If a URL is attached to the graph, this serves as a base, such
> that relative URLs on nodes are derived from it.

I guess the question is whether this feature can be made to work with
hyperref.  *Crosses fingers.*

> I haven't done the hyperlinking yet, but you can see what a
> pamphlet file that contains GraphViz commands looks like at:
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/Endpaper3
>
> This contains both the Algebra and Data Structure diagrams
> (two versions, one using abbreviations and one using the full
> category names).

Very nice!  One comment is that it would be nice to abandon the "rows"
graphviz seems to favor and go with a bit more free form, in order to
avoid graphs that are so wide.  I think neato is supposed to do this
but IIRC it doesn't do directed graphs?  Also need to see if it can
support hyperlinking or even improve the width problem.  The current
method seems to work very well for some structures though, so it's a
bit tricky.

> Right now I am looking into the problem of writing multi-line
> labels that would allow me to write for example:
>
>   Homogeneous
>   Aggregate
>
> instead of
>
>   HomogeneousAggregate
>
> This would allow the diagram to be narrower and with a larger
> font size. The way this is supposed to be written in GraphViz
> "dot" language is:
>
>   HomogeneousAggregate [label="Homogeneous\nAggregate"];
>
> but when I write the \n inside the LaTeX file, LaTeX insists
> on interpreting this as an undefined command \nAggregate and
> gives a LaTeX error instead of just writing it to the '*.dot'
> file the way the GraphViz macro says it should. If anyone
> know how to get LaTeX to write a string containing \n to a
> file, please let me know. Right now I am stuck.

I think there is some method for doing this - the only way I'm thinking
of at the moment is the verbatium environment but that might be
overkill.

Cheers,
CY