RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 19:05:52 -0500

On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:49 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> | ... Also native MAC OSX10 apparently does not
> | have support for the pts virtual terminal interface so it is
> | not possible yet to compile clef (the replacement for readline).
>
> I never quite understood why readline needs to be replaced.
> Do you know?

I think the foremost reason is that clef (aka. "edible") was part
of Axiom long before readline existed.

Second, clef does have some Axiom command completions that are not
built-in to readline but I think readline is also configurable,
and could provide such functionality, right?

Third, to the best of my knowledge readline is the only part of
GCL that is licenses as GPL. If readline is disabled, then GCL might
be considered compatible with Axiom's BSD-style non-copyleft license.
(I am not sure if this is important to anyone interesting in Axiom
any more.)

Personally, I would prefer to get rid of clef and adapt readline
because it would simply the Axiom process tree structure. On the
other hand, readline can be a pain sometimes when you are trying
to drive a program through a pipe and/or pty interface... so it
is desirable also to be able to disable readline also.