Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 01:32:03 +0100

However pamphlet files with multiple chunks interact badly with
the make dependency processing since changing or adding a single
chunk in a pamphlet file triggers re-extraction of all files
dependent on that pamphlet and subseqent dependent make processing.
To over come this, we would have modify the 'document' script so
that it does not touch an existing file if it has not changed
(i.e. extract the chunk to a temporary file and overwrite the
original only if diff -q fails).

I would use "cpif" for that purpose. Norman Ramsey has already thought of that case.

In the mean time, I think just renaming axiom.sty as Waldek
suggested is not so confusing, given the discussion in the rest
of this thread. Maybe instead of 'axiom-sty.pamphlet' something
like 'axiom-latex.pamphlet' might be a better name with
<<axiom.sty>= and possibly other latex-related chunks collected
in a single pamphlet file.

I agree that LP suggests to think in terms of logical units for humans, but on the other hand I am still a bit old-fashioned (and maybe also human), since I would have hard times to look in the file system for the place of a particular file (which is hidden in a .pamphlet file with another name). In that sense pamphlet files would not fit me as a human. Maybe I should change ... ;-)

Ralf