Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:40:10 -0400

On 12 Jun 2007 21:21:55 -0500, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:
My personal opinion is that funny characters (yes, I consider
whitespace in pathnames as funny) in pathnames are Evil.  We
should not spend too much resource trying to support Evil beyond
reasonable. People who like spaces in pathnames should just learn
leaving with that restriction in Axiom.  Given the choice between
Evil and useful functionality in Axiom, I don't hesitate one second.

Get real Gaby! Even Linux supports file names with embedded spaces.
It's old hacks like you who refuse to write proper shell scripts that keep
us all living in the dark ages ... Before you know it you will be arguing
(like Tim Daly) that no one really needs lower case characters. ;-) ;-)
While the rest of the World is working madly for full multilingual unicode
support.

Really, on Windows it is impossible to avoid dealing with paths that
contain spaces since the standard locations for files are things like
"Documents and Settings", "Program Files" and "My Documents".