Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:19:42 -0400

On 6/13/07, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Bill Page wrote:

| Get real Gaby!

There is nothing unreal in what I stated.
Please contribute working codes if you believe you have
time to argue for its support.

??? The current versions of GCL and Axiom on Windows already
supports this. Could you give an example where the use of spaces
in file names causes problems?

| Really, on Windows it is impossible to avoid dealing with paths that
| contain spaces since the standard locations for files are things like
| "Documents and Settings", "Program Files" and "My Documents".

You can put your files in different place.  GHC installs in c:/GHC.

Why? That is like telling a Windows user that they should not store
files in their HOME directory.  It does not make sense to design a
system that only works if you put your files in a non-standard place.
This applies equally to Linux and Windows. What do you think is
so hard about writing software that conforms fully to the file name
conventions of these systems?