[Axiom-developer] Re: Problem kTuple wish 2.

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Problem kTuple wish 2.
Date: 26 Jun 2007 14:43:51 -0400

Hello Ralf,

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
> Try to define this apply function.
>
> Important, I want to have as much type safety as possible, i.e. If I
> would have written
>
> c := m(1, "x", false);
>
> the compiler should already shout that the type of the first argument
> doesn't fit.

Initial thinking suggests that this would be difficult, if not
impossible, to implement genericly using static types.  I know of no
way to specify a non-homogeneous `cross' of arbitrary dimension, for
use as a meaningfull signature for `m' which the compiler could check.

Its been said before that static typing, when pushed to the limit,
becomes equivalent to dynamic typing -- that is to say, they are not
polar opposites.

Certainly this kind of generality is not on the radar for me any time
soon.

> Good luck.
>
> Ralf

Thanks,